Thursday, October 23, 2014

Back on the Horse, so to speak...

I haven’t written here in a long time. The truth was, I lost my courage to write about my lack of courage. It’s kind of funny if you think about it. The fact of the matter is, my self-esteem has been in the toilet. Yes, for three years. And now my knees are in bad shape. Really bad shape. As in, at the tender age of 38, I was advised that both my knees need to be replaced bad shape. Problem #1: Knee replacement prostheses have an average useful life of 10-15 years when replaced into an otherwise healthy body. So unless I plan to croak at 48-53 (I don’t), I would be looking at multiple knee replacement surgeries in my lifetime. Problem #2: If said prostheses were placed into my body as things currently stand (at a weight of over 360 pounds on my 5 foot 4 inch frame), my orthopedic surgeon, Ortho God, estimates that they would only last about 3 years. The time has come to have tough conversations, he said. So, on October 1, I made the decision to restart the Carbohydrate Addicts’ Diet. I had bought the book and the associated cookbook a few months before and was going to start May 1. Then June 1. Then July 1. Ad nauseam. Until Ortho God forced my hand. I’ve had a couple of slip-ups along the way but I’m back on and working the plan. So that’s where I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment